Visit my WEBSITE here

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Photo of the Day: Rhesus Macaque at Angkor Wat

Nikon D200, 70-300mm f4.5-f5.6 VR@183mm, f4.8; 1/125s

This rather thoughtful looking Macaque was part of a troop of monkeys that inhabit the surroundings of the Angkor Wat temple complex in Cambodia. They are very tolerant of humans, and the more inquisitive of them can get very close! They can also be very acquisitive when the mood takes them - thieving gits! The day was quite overcast after a rainstorm, as the monsoon was running a bit late and we were still getting rained on every day. It gave the complex a freshly washed, very green, yet quite moody countenance. Very SE Asian, very 'Apocalypse Now'. This being my second day there, I had more temple shots than I could shake a stick at (almost exclusively crap, as it turned out), so I decided to go and explore some of the surrounding forest on my tod.

As I wandered into the trees, I almost immediately came across a family group lounging around, looking cool, and this guy was the coolest. He was on a low branch about 1.7m away, and had no problems with the nosey tourist sticking a telephoto lens in his face. If you look really close, you can just make out the western aspect of Angkor Wat reflected in his eyes. I took several shots of this guy, mostly with him looking straight down the camera lens, in the classic portrait style, but this is my favourite - more thoughtful and coy. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment